Here is what people are saying about Fertility Law Canada™ at D2Law LLP:
- Gestational surrogacy for a gay male couple is extremely complex. Sara kindly guided us from day one as to Canada's laws and processes. Despite being quite possibly Canada's most knowledgeable expert on fertility law, she was very approachable and answered all of our many questions. We have now known Sara for just over a year and we are proud to report that we had a healthy baby boy join our family. Thanks Sara for your guidance and support and for helping bring our child into this world. (Daniel Heng and Christopher Brooks, Calgary, Alberta - Intended Parents)
- If you’re reading this, you’ve probably been on a long, exhausting, emotional and expensive journey. When my journey brought me from the other side of the world to Canada, I was lucky to find Sara Cohen. It was important to me to go the right way about creating my family. Sara guided me along the way to ensure everything was done lawfully. Sara is the consummate professional, well versed in Canadian surrogacy law, and with good existing relationships with international lawyers. I trust her advice and believe she will always look out for her clients’ best interests. However, it is her compassion and personal commitment to my success that sets her apart from merely being a legal representative. She has always been there to offer advice and encouragement through disappointing times, and to share the joy of success. When I felt like giving up, Sara was there to support and inspire me to keep going. I highly recommend Sara to anyone looking for help with surrogacy in Canada. I will always be grateful to have Sara on my side, and she will always be a part of my family’s international “village”." - Lisa, Intended Mother, Australia
- We would not hesitate to recommend Sara Cohen to anyone considering surrogacy. We spoke to several lawyers and Sara was by far the most impressive, both in terms of her expertise and her warm, approachable manner. Her depth of knowledge, professionalism and collaborative attitude made us feel secure and comfortable - she made a complicated process into something manageable. She always took the time to answer our many, many questions, and always provided considered, expert advice. She was sensitive, wise, cautious and diligent. Given how challenging this process can be, we were grateful to have Sara in our corner. (R. and A., Toronto, Ontario)
- As Intended Parents, entering into this Surrogacy journey for the first time, Sara was, somehow, able to make it nearly painless. She took such good care of us, not only from the legal side of things but constantly checking in to see how everything was going [and is still doing so even after the contracts have been completed].
Sara’s advice and services were priceless to us throughout this whole process. She was thorough in writing both our Egg Donor and Surrogate’s contracts, being sure to keep our best interests in mind, she was quick to respond to emails or phone calls [I’m not sure if she ever sleeps] and, it has to be said, we were pleasantly surprised when it came to our final invoice; it’s hard to put a price on becoming a parent but Sara was worth every single penny!
We can’t thank you enough for getting us through this stressful process, with as little stress and frustration as possible, Sara. You are the reason we have made it to this point in our journey and we look forward to working with you again! (C.H. and J.H., Intended Parents, New Brunswick)
- Sara, Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts for all that you have done for us. Ryan and I could never have imagined how easy this journey could have been if it weren't for all of your amazing fertility expertise and legal advice. You made this process effortless for Ryan and I. Yourself and your practice has been the utmost professional. We greatly appreciate the timely manner and responses to all of our e-mails of questions or concerns and the speed at which you created, produced and executed all of our legal paperwork. We are so happy to have chosen you to help us on our journey to create the beginning of our family and hopefully will be able to utilize your services in a few years to come! - Tara and Ryan Brydges, Sarnia, Ontario
- Sara helped us immensely during our legal process as intended parents. She was always kind, knowledgeable and professional, and was always patient and quick with responding to all of our inquiries and questions. The entire experience was new to us as intended parents, and we found that she always kept us well-informed, even during some challenging times - she kindly guided us and helped us make some important decisions. We always felt comfortable that we were in the right hands with Sara and made what could have been a stressful experience, a very pleasant one. Sara, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your time and dedication, and we are happy that you were a part of this journey with us. (Christine Celestial and Sal Celestial, Ontario, Intended Parents)
- Sara, you have been amazing. Through all the stresses and conflicting priorities throughout this process, we never gave the legal stuff a second thought. We always knew that was in your very capable hands, and that we could focus our attention on other issues. We will always be grateful for that, and for your professionalism along the way. We've given your name to a number of friends throughout the country who are struggling with fertility issues and considering surrogacy as an option. Again, thanks for everything. And if we can ever be of help to you, we are just an email away. - (Derek Osborne, Newfoundland and Labrador, Intended Parent)
- You helped make this experience stress-free and flawless. Thank you! You were born to do what you do! ...You rock. Seriously, do you ever sleep? We can't thank you enough for everything you've done for us. The countless emails, the rushed timeline...Thank you, a million times over! (L.F. and J. F., Chatham, Ontario)
- Sara, I would like to thank you for you dedication to your practice, you exemplify the profession, you are truly a caring and honest individual. We would not hesitate for a second in a reference or interview in regards to your capacity as a lawyer in this very tough grey field. I deal with Bay St. Lawyers all the time and you fly way above the moral crowd, your values and commitment to your vertical in the industry is bar none. I look forward to the day we will need your services again (hopefully in about 9-10 months), I hope the next couple that finds you is as lucky as we are to have met a family that is willing to give so much, with you in the corner covering the detail – made the journey stress free as it can be. My hat off to you, thank you kindly for your grace and honesty...thank you for guiding us through this whole process - without you we would have been clueless. You truly exemplify your profession, rare and precious. We have been giving your name out left and right (David and Sarah Smith, Toronto, Ontario).
- As intended parents, we have found Sara’s services to be invaluable and well worth the money spent. Since we first met with her in 2013, she has been there to comfortably take us through Surrogacy Agreement negotiations and our ongoing journey to becoming parents. Sara has always provided us with the advice to make informed decisions, understanding the law and any inherent risk in the process.
Sara has been very diligent in her work, quick to respond to emails or phone calls, and always available, especially with urgent matters. She has a good eye for detail, as well as a very approachable manner.
We have felt very comfortable with our legal standing throughout the process as we have had Sara providing educated and risk-averse advice. We have engaged Sara’s services throughout our surrogacy journey and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone requiring legal services or advice in this matter in the future. (John and Ross Jutras-Minett, Intended Father)
- "Thanks for being so on the ball... it is clearly evident that you are amazing at your job because you made the process painless for us!" - T.B., Sarnia, Ontario (Intended Mother)
- Travailler avec Sara a été formidable. Elle a été là pour nous accompagné dans chacune des étapes importantes de notre projet de G.P.A et en particulier pour la rédaction des contrats avec notre donneuse d’ovules puis avec la mère porteuse.
Sara était là pour répondre à toutes questions que nous pouvions avoir et pour nous guider dans des démarches pas toujours faciles à gérer. Ses réponses toujours très rapides et précises d’autant que nous ne parlons pas très bien anglais ? Ceci nous a permis d’avancer plus rapidement dans notre projet en toute sécurité.
D’un point de vue juridique, nous avons pu faire entièrement confiance à Sara dont les documents étaient très professionnels.
Nous ne pouvons que vous conseiller de travailler avec elle!
- A.T. and O.H., Intended Fathers through surrogacy, France
- Sara est l'avocate qui nous a épaulés dans la procédure dite de "parentage" après la naissance de notre fille.
Nous n avions pas travaillé avec elle pour la rédaction du contrat de notre mère porteuse, une autre avocate nous ayant été conseillée par notre agence. Cependant nous avons été très déçus du travail de celle-ci : la seule chose qui semblait l intéresser était de faire durer les choses afin d obtenir un maximum d honoraires pour ses services. Elle était de plus très désagréable avec nous. Pour ces raisons nous avions demandé à notre agence de nous fournir les coordonnées d un autre avocat. C est ainsi que nous avons eu le plaisir de travailler avec Sara Cohen.
Sara est tout le contraire de l avocate que nous avions eu pour la rédaction du contrat avec la mère porteuse. Très réactive, elle nous a demandé toutes les informations nécessaires à la rédaction des documents dont elle aurait besoin, et ce plusieurs mois avant la naissance de notre fille. Ainsi tout était quasiment prêt le jour j. Elle a été d une grande gentillesse, toujours à notre écoute et a su prendre en compte nos désirs quant au schéma familiale que nous souhaitions avoir. Je ne saurais dire le nombre de mails que nous avons échangé, mais ils étaient très nombreux ! Nous lui avons fait même changer les documents suite à une changement d orientation dans notre parcours. Et malgré tout ce travail, elle est restée très honnête et ne nous a pas assommés avec des honoraires hallucinants. Elle nous a même rendu de l argent sur l avance que nous avions faite!!! Et aujourd'hui encore, alors que toutes les procédures sont terminées, elle répond toujours à nos questions!
Nous sommes plus que satisfaits du travail fourni par Sara Cohen. Elle est une avocate honnête et respectueuse, toujours d une grande gentillesse et disponibilité. Si nous devions revenir à Toronto afin d avoir un autre enfant, je pense sincèrement que nous ferions appel à elle afin de nous épauler dans nos démarches. (E. and T., intended parents, France)
שירותיה של שרה הומלצו לנו דרך עורכת הדין הישראלית שלנו עקב ריבוי האזרחויות שבמשפחתינו,כישראלי החי עם בן זוגו הצרפתי היה ברור לי ששירותי עורך דין המומחה בתחום המשפחה והפונדקאות במיוחד ששולט בדין המקומי ושיכול לתת מענה לצורכי הדין הישראלי והצרפתי כאחד הינו מצרך עליון. ואכן שרה עורכת דין מהמעולות בתחום המשפחה בקנדה, נותנת ייעוץ אישי ,אמין ופרטני לגבי כל מקרה לגופו ובהתבסס כמובן על דרישותיהם של עורכי הדין בארץ המוצא עמם היא נכנסת לקשר פרטני ומקצועי.
שרה מדקדקת בכל פרט קטן שבתיק ונותנת מענה הן לקהל לקוחותיה והן למשרדים הממשלתיים עמם היא עובדת במהירות ובאדיבות. כעורכת דין שאינה עובדת עם סוכנות מסויימת אלא בצורה עצמאית וישירה עם לקוחותיה, בדרך זו שרה מונעת ניגוד אינטרסים שיכול להיווצר במקרה ונוצר עימות בין ההורים המיועדים לסוכנות או אפילו לפונדקאית.
שכרנו את שירותיה של שרה לטובת פסק דין על הורות שבא לאחר הלידה, במשך כל תקופת ההיריון שרה עמלה במרץ ובנחישות כדי שביום הלידה כל הטפסים יהיו מוכנים להגשת התיק בבית הדין המחוזי.אכן הפסק דין ניתן במהירות וכתוצאה מכך הונפקה תעודת לידה המכירה בשנינו כהורים איתה יכלנו לנפק דרכונים במהירות לילדינו ולחזור הביתה במהרה.
הקשר עם שרה מאוד אישי וחם, התקשורת עמה מתבצעת כמובן באנגלית אך שרה שולטת גם בשפה בעברית במידת הצורך.
אני ממליץ בחום על שירותיה של שרה לייצוג מול הרשויות לטובת פסק דין להורות וכמובן בחוזי פונדקאות,תרומות זרע וביצית בהם היא שולטת באופן הכי דייקני ומושלם.
שרה היא יותר מעורכת דין מושלמת,היא חלק בלתי נפרד בתהליך הקמת משפחתינו שנמשך חודשים ארוכים.
- Sara: Thank you very much for your expertise, professionalism and caring approach. As you know, there are so many frustrations and challenges going through infertility and we expected this legal process to be a complicated uphill battle but you made it easy and pleasant. We truly appreciate how available and approachable you have been. We always knew what was happening, that you were actively managing all the details and that we would be hearing from you as soon as possible. You answered all of our questions and never seemed rushed even though we were speaking with you outside of business hours. Thank you again for helping us. – J + R (intended parents, Ottawa)
- Sara R. Cohen is a professional, compassionate, and knowledgeable fertility lawyer who truly cares about her clients. When patients at First Steps Fertility require a reproduction lawyer, Sara is the first one that I recommend. Sara makes herself accessible to her clients and provides good value. She is clearly passionate about the work that she does. - Shira Benson, RN, Clinic Manager, First Steps Fertility
- We have had the pleasure of working with Sara as the legal expert that we refer clients to for our Embryo Donation program. She is very knowledgeable on fertility law and is always professional, courteous and efficient in her work with our clients. They have all provided positive feedback after working with Sara. We have appreciated how much thought she puts in to the legal agreements she drafts and how well she collaborates with other lawyers. Sara's expertise has been a tremendous support to our program and we look forward to working with her for many years to come - Mary Howlett Nero, Embryo Donation Program Coordinator, Beginnings Family Services
- Retaining Sara Cohen as our lawyer during our Gestational Surrogacy journey as
the Intended Parents has been an exceptional experience. Sara displayed true
professionalism; she far exceeded our expectations and went above and beyond for
us as her clients. We would recommend without hesitation her legal services and
you would be truly blessed to have her on your team during your journey. - Melanie Lepine and Paul Wells (intended parents), Ontario
- Thank you so very much for everything!! You are so wonderful to work with, and we appreciate everything you've done for us… I’d recommend you to absolutely anyone - Angela and Sean O'Hare (gestational carrier), British Columbia
- Thanks so much for working within in our 'pressed' time line, being sensitive to our financial restrains, and for doing such an amazing job! The clinic had referred us to another lawyer but I am so glad that I did my own research and got connected with you. We hope to be in touch shortly to start the next part of the process. - Paula D. (intended mother), Ontario
- Thank you, thank you, thank you... sooo much for your dedication and information in this transition. Your efforts will forever change our world. We are extremely grateful our paths have crossed and hope you continue to offer opportunities to others who may need your guidance and expertise in these matters. K.G. and J.G. the "anxiously awaiting" intended parents via egg donation (Hamilton, Ontario)
- We are intend parents, and it was really a pleasant experience when we worked with Sara. Sara has helped us overcome some tricky problems we have met on our journey. She drafted amazingly elaborate contract and explained everything clearly, which was very helpful for us to understand the law in short time. Sara always reply to my email incredibly quickly and used her broad knowledge to protects her clients. We feel it is very easy to communicate with her, because she can grasp the key points immediately, we never wasted time on repeating or misunderstanding. We feel lucky to have Sara as our lawyer; if you want someone who can really be helpful, effective and professional—ask Sara. S. and B. (intended parents), China
- Sara came highly recommended by a fellow surrogate. Being that it was my first surrogacy journey, saying that I was completely unaware of the process and what to expect was an understatement. I felt an immediate calmness and assurance when dealing with her, and knew I was in the hands of someone who had my best interest as her priority. She explained the contract as needed to ensure I did not agree to anything in error or as an oversight. Her professionalism throughout, even when it was down to the wire, helped keep me calm (as calm as could be when on hormones, that is) and focused, again reinforcing that I had made the right decision. Sara, I cannot thank you enough for making this desire a reality! - K.A. (Gestational Surrogate), Ontario
- Thanks so much for all your hard work.....we have completely enjoyed working with you....you are AWESOME! And we look forward to continuing the work and the journey with you. (M.M. and J.M., Toronto, Ontario)
- Being a first time gestational carrier, I was really unsure of what to expect out of my contract. There is so much involved in the decision, before you even try to understand the legalities! I was referred to Sara Cohen, with complete blind faith. I was quickly impressed at how much information she had available to me. From the very first phone call, I understood that she was there for me. That she was ensuring that my contract was in favour of protecting everyone involved and that in the end, there would be no question as to what was expected. She freely shared a vast knowledge of things I knew nothing about. I felt very comforted knowing that I could pick up the phone, or send her an email, and she would quickly answer my questions. Sara even stopped by the clinic on the day of my transfer to say 'hi'. She has always made me feel warm and welcome, and never like another client 'on the list', She has always had a warming rapport, and has genuine interest and sincerity in my success. Whenever I am 'in town' she welcomes me to stop by, or visit over tea. If I choose to do another journey as a gestational carrier, I will not have anyone else deal with the legalities. Sara has treated me with so much respect and friendship, that I just cannot see turning to anyone else! She is definitely someone that I want to keep in my corner! - Michelle Avery (surrogate mother, Ontario)
- Thank you Sara. This is a strange but great situation, and thanks for helping us through it! You are helping to give us a family and for that I can't thank you enough! - Brian Coleman (Intended Father, London, Ontario)
- I have known Sara for about a year now. Sara has been the most considerate and knowledgeable lawyer I've ever had the pleasure to work with. This is now my second gestational surrogate journey that Sara has helped me with. She has always been there to ensure that I am protected when it came to my contracts. I was hesitant at first when I was referred to her, but after talking to her for just a few moments I found that she was no ordinary lawyer. She was there to protect my interests. She's a lawyer that was there to help and not look for a bottom line. Her knowledge and compassion shine through with every conversation we have. Sara has always been available whenever I have needed her advice. She is a one of a kind person and is an amazing lawyer. I cannot say enough about Sara! She is more than my lawyer, she is a very dear friend. - Colette, surrogate and friend
- Sara Cohen was the right choice of attorneys when we needed a unique "Known
Sperm Donor" contract. Sara Cohen represented my interests thoroughly when the
contract was written up. She brought up questions and concerns I hadn't even
thought about and made sure that my interests were protected, resulting in a
balanced and well written contract we can now depend on. I highly recommend the
outstanding legal services of Sara Cohen. Thanks again Sara! - PB (Toronto)
- Being a newcomer to the whole surrogacy world, I was very skeptical about finding a lawyer that I felt comfortable with. I spent a few weeks calling around to set up meetings with other lawyers but could not establish a connection. I was then referred to Sara from my IPs. The moment I spoke to her on the phone, I felt immediately at ease. Sara was warm and welcoming and made the experience a very positive one from the very start. She always made sure that I was informed and comfortable with information before making decisions and I would definitely recommend her to others. If in the future, I decide to take this journey again, Sara will be the only person I consider. All the best - H.O. (gestational carrier, Ontario)
- From the beginning of our surrogacy journey as intended parents, Sara Cohen has provided excellent legal advice and guidance. Sara is always available, helpful, professional and knowledgeable. She has made this process easier to navigate and has clearly explained the relevant laws. Sara has gone above and beyond for us and truly cares about her clients. We would recommend her services to anybody in this process. - G & Y, intended parents, Ottawa
- It was really wonderful to meet Sara. She is such an amazing person and an excellent lawyer. She has helped us and guided us regarding the surrogacy rules and regulations in Canada. Her expert opinion has been a turning point which helped us to make an important decision in our life. She also made a commendable effort to find an immigration lawyer for us. She is a very intelligent, honest and helpful lawyer who would always give you a sincere advice. She believes in doing her best. We would highly recommend Sara. - SD & RS (Intended Parents, Toronto)
- Dear Sara, You were the only lawyer [who] truly took the time to actually talk to me and give me guidance about the Surrogacy Agreement...My exchange with you was like going to a friend and asking for their advice. Thank you for being you. I believe your clients are blessed to have you. In the years to come, when I think back on this journey, I will remember how kind you were to me. Anonymous (Intended Mother, Ontario)